Sunday, January 27, 2008

Tonight I’ll Take What I Can Get

So tonight we had the Cuellar family over for dinner. When our families get together there are more kids than adults (although Summer might argue that point). Heather and Jimmy have four kids; Summer, who is 13 and a full on teenager, Ryan, who is ten and totally into video games, Camden, who is two and until recently been quite mischievous, and Kyden, who is one and still very mischievous (but in his defense gives the best hugs ever).

Tonight I want to talk about Camden. Camden has always disliked me…or feared me…or something. For his first year of life he would scream wildly if I got within three feet of him. We’ve made a little progress, but I still think he would prefer if I were not around. So I wasn’t too surprised tonight when they arrived and Camden refused to give me five, leaving me holding my hand out like a moron (traumatic memories of elementary school came rushing back…at least he didn’t point and laugh). I came in to check my email while the whole group went out front to shoot some pictures. When I got out there Amy was trying to get some shots of Summer and Ryan together. Camden was perched next to them (but not in Amy’s picture), so I sat down right next to him and began shooting away. I was shooting with a Sigma 30mm f1.4, so for these shots I was basically sitting right next to him. Not only did he not run he really interacted with me, laughing at me and being playful in general. This may not seem like much, but we have a history. I thoroughly enjoyed our couple of minutes on the curb together, and look forward to a future where we might be able to ride in the same car, or maybe even watch an entire movie together. Seriously, Camden is a great kid with a great little personality and I do look forward to getting to know him even more.

This first shot has Summer and Ryan in the background, and Maya in the far background. You can hardly see Maya, she looks like a little rainbow blob (she picked out her own clothes tonight).





Later when they were leaving I went for the goodbye hug, only to be denied, but hey, tonight I’ll take what I can get.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's huge! Hopefully it's a foreshadowing of things to come :-)
Like the pictures too. Hope you guys had a great evening!

January 27, 2008 at 9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE THE PICS, AND HE LOVES YOU... HE'S JUST PLAYING HARD-TO-GET!!! AND I THINK THERE'S JUST A hint OF NERVOUSNESS IN HIS SMILES!!! :)

January 27, 2008 at 10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Camden's finally coming around...maybe. I have to agree about the nervousness in the smile. Just Kidding, these are great pictures.

January 28, 2008 at 6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home